Friday, November 30, 2007

SPAIN - Toledo

TOLEDO

The city is surrounded by El Rio Tajo

So beautiful!
The Cathedral and Alcazar in the background.

View from our hotel window.
The amazing Cathedral of Toledo
This is the street that I lived on as a missionary.


This was the building I lived in, it was built in the 14th century by Arabs.
Toledo is full of little cobblestone streets like this one, and yes they do drive down some of them.

This is MariCarmen and David, members in Toledo who we had dinner with after church. Toledo's train station. The fast train

On Saturday we woke up early again to catch the fast train to Madrid from there we caught another high speed train to Toledo. Toledo is my favorite place, partly because I served there for four months but mostly just because it is so magical. I felt like a lived in a postcard! It was so fun to be back and I was so excited to show Lance my favorite places and the people I loved. I just wish we wouldn't had more time there. But it was nice to attend church in an area where I served and so great to see everyone there. Well, when we got Todedo we first went to the amazing cathredral, it is known as one of the most grand and impressive cathredrals in all of Europe. It is huge! We also went to a few museums, had dinner with a member family the Gomez, and my favorite, got lost in the street maze of the city. Toledo was the capital of Spain until 1561 and is know as the city of three cultures, one of the only cities where Arabs, Christians and Jews lived and worked together in harmony. The entire city has been declared a national monument. Toledo was built on a mountain top and is surrounded by the Tajo River, for safety. When in Toledo you really feel like your going back in time. That night we stayed in what used to be the Renaissance building which was the palace of the Empress Eugenia de Montijo, the wife of Napoleon III, it was really nice. Our room was beautiful and the best part was the city roof top view. If you ever go to Spain, you must go to Toledo!

No comments: